Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Elodie's Shop - 100% Recycled Greeting Cards



ElodiesShop is an amazing Etsy shop in which Elodie sells her gorgeous handmade greeting cards. What makes her shop stand out from other handmade greeting card sellers on Etsy is that not only are her greeting cards beautiful, original and unique like many others are, but her cards are also made with 100% recycled paper AND she makes all her own recycled paper!!

I had the opportunity to interview Elodie on her shop and her handmade work, and this is what she had to say:



Me: Tell us about your upcycled work. What types of items do you make? What types of matierals do you use to make them? Where do you find these materials?

Elodie: I make my own paper and then create greeting cards with it. My office looks like a recycled dump! I recycled all the paper I can find. I keep everything from paper towel rolls to junk mail. Before making the paper, I carefully sort it all by texture and color (paper towel rolls, paper bags, colored paper from school, receipts, paper from my old cards, envelopes, etc….)


Me: How long have you been doing this type of upcycling? What inspired you to try to make something with what would be considered ‘trash’?

Elodie: I've been making cards for almost 5 years now. I did a lot of custom orders; especially birth announcements.. But after making 80 of those, I had a lot of little pieces that I had no choice but to throw away… The thing that really opened my eyes is when my son went to school, and I started keeping all of his drawings, writing, collages, you name it …At the end of that year and the fridge full of drawings I felt sick to just throw everything away! I told myself, what a waste of paper!!! So I did some research, bought books, ask my sweet hubby to build the materials I needed and went for it!

Me: What have been some of your biggest accomplishments? Most proud moments regarding your craft and/or shop?

Elodie: My biggest accoplishment was learning that I could recycle, make something using my own hands! The reactions I got were very encouraging! I succeeded in making the paper and loved doing it too! Some of my most proud moments are when I have received great feedback from customers or just a kind comment about my items!


Me: What are your goals for your shop? Where do you see your shop/business in the next few years?

Elodie: As for my goals, I want my shop to be diverse, I’m working everyday on finding new ideas (that I already have, just need the time to realize them) and keep my customers impressed and satisfied. I’m also hoping for success in the sense that, the more order I have, the more I can recycle and hopefully inspire people to do so as well!!

Me: Where do you get your inspiration for your work? Or your inspiration in general?

Elodie: Most of my inspiration comes from nature. Either I use it (with dried plants) or I preserve it (by recycling). I grew up in the suburbs of Paris, and I had never been touched by nature until I moved to Maine with my family! It is so peaceful, beautiful and healthy. I am also inspired by people, their needs, their feelings... my spiritual cards for example, my sister was my inspiration for those…


Me: What do you do outside of working on your shop? Other hobbies, career, family?

Elodie: I am a stay at home mom, and I LOVE IT, Yes I do!!!! I will celebrate my 13th year with my hubby this summer, and we have 2 beautiful boys, ages 7 and 4. I love crafting, decorating and baking; especially my own bread.

Me: Tell us anything that you would like for your potential customers to know about you, your product line, your shop or any other ideas you wish to share.

Elodie: In my card making, I am the only one working at it; to the dismay of my children who would love to help me! I have a motto which is RESPECT at all cause. I do my best to recycle, I like to say that I am trying to be like the hummingbird who doesn’t bring too much water to put the fire out but does his part…And by doing that I also teach my kids to take care of our beautiful planet EARTH!







To see more of Elodie's work please visit:
ElodiesShop - Elodie's shop on Etsy
Elodie - Her Etsy Profile
Elodie's Shop on Facebook
Elodie on Pinterest

All of the photos shown here are property of Elodie and are not to be copied or reproduced in any manner whithout her prior consent.

1 comment:

  1. Those cards are amazing! I love it when 'trash' get turned into something so impressive.

    ReplyDelete