Friday, April 20, 2012

Terry Parker - Loma Prieta Pottery

Terry Parker is the owner of Loma Prieta Pottery, her Etsy shop where she sells exquisite hand thrown pottery. Terry's love of pottery began in the mid '70's and was a very serious hobby while she worked as an engineer. In 2001 her engineering career ended and Terry was able to dedicate significantly more time to potting. She started selling her pottery at art festivals and started her Etsy shop in January 2008. She shares her accomplishments, challenges and insights in this interview.

Q. How did you get started doing pottery/ceramics? Tell us about your work. What types of items do you make?
Cherry Blossoms Bud Vase
Terry: I got started doing pottery after not being able to take pottery as an elective when in engineering school. For some reason, I was drawn to the pottery studio but only students in the school of art and architecture were able to take the class. After moving to the Bay area in the mid-70's I sought out a pottery studio that taught classes and fell in love with making pots. I love creating functional pottery that is well-balanced and pleasing to the eye and touch. And I especially love making pots that people enjoy using. I work on the wheel in stoneware, firing the pieces to cone 10 (2340 F) in a reduction atmosphere. On most of my work, I achieve design by overlapping glazes. Others I decorate by carving designs into the surface.

Q. What have been some of your biggest accomplishments? Most proud moments regarding your craft and/or shop?
Terry:I think my proudest moments are when I get told either in person at an art festival or by email or feedback how much someone enjoys having one of my pots that they purchased.

Hand Thrown Soup Mugs
Q. What are your goals for your shop? Where do you see your shop/business in the next few years?
Terry: I am currently trying to be more diligent about listing new items in my shop. I recently moved to Tucson, AZ and just finished getting my studio in working order last fall so I am now working on building up my inventory and getting it listed! I am also working on creating items which are new for me and using some different techniques in my work. As a member of the Etsy Mud Team, I hope to take advantage of the information that some of the team's more successful members readily share with the team to grow my shop in the next few years.
Textured Tea Pot
Q. Where do you get your inspiration for your work? Or your inspiration in general?
Terry: Hmm - this is a hard question. Most of my pottery are very utilitarian items and I tend to create items using very classical forms.

Q. What do you do outside of working on your shop? Other hobbies, career, family? Terry: Outside of working in clay and on my shop, I help friends with their websites and I am currently the webmaster for the Southern Arizona Clay Artists. I also annually participate with my husband in Relay for Life - a fundraising event for the American Cancer Society.

Q. Tell us anything that you would like for your potential customers to know about you, your product line, your shop or any other ideas you wish to share.
Terry: When I do something, I am not able to do it halfway - which means I have to watch I don't over commit myself. If I say I am going to do something, I get it done.


You can also connect with Terry Here:

No comments:

Post a Comment